Home

This is a fan site for Descoware–a brand of enamel cookware made until the mid-seventies. The enamelware was originally manufactured as “Bruxelles Ware” with the Descoware name coming from the American import company D.E Sanford Co. The brand was popularized by the wonderful Julia Child, who was kind enough to recommend products without endorsement fees. All are welcome and if you have an interest in Descoware– toss your two cents in. Your email stays safe, no spam here. Please be kind and enjoy your stay. The “Author” has no commercial interest except his own small collection. There are some ads on the site and most years those ads pay for the hosting and nothing more.

Please email pictures if you have some! info-at- descoware.com and YES pictures with food in the piece is good!

The buttons on the right (and top) will move you around the site. Mostly words at the top–pictures on the right.

Your moderator is Kevin, an artist, writer and tinker in Oregon. His Descoware story is here.

155 Responses to Home

1. AndieP says:

I have a green tea kettle/steamer that I purchased in 1974 from the same store in which I purchased my first Descoware in 1968. (Franklin’s Hardware in Woodland Hills, CA) and Descoware was the only enameled cast iron product they carried at that time. They had carried Griswold in the past and indeed still had an advertising piece for Griswold that I tried to purchase – no luck.
    The lid to the tea kettle was significantly damaged in the ’94 earthquake when it fell off the lid rack above the stove and struck the cast iron grate on my stovetop at just the correct angle to break the handle and half the enamel from the lid.
    Descoware produced this distinctive handle on this style teakettle and a slightly different one on a coffee pot.
    I have seen other green Descoware items but they are not the same shade of green and they are sort of cream colored inside. This gray interior is exactly the same shade as in the yellow Descoware I purchased at the same time.
    I got the green teakettle because the store was sold out of the flame and the yellow.
    It is quite heavy.
    You can see photos of it here:

2. Beci says:

I just picked up a beautiful pale blue Descoware dutch oven with lid yesterday at an estate sale. It has the nice gradation of a pale blue morning-glory. I’m not finding much online regarding this color. I am already totally in love with this piece.

3. Miranda S. says:

I recently found these two yellow descoware pot and pan set and am trying to learn more about them. Does anyone know what year descoware officially started production? Why are they made so small? Thank you for any help!

4. Chris Devon says:

We have some Descoware from about 1970 that my mom bought when she first was married. We had a frying pan somewhere. There are now 3 pots. A small one with a wooden handle, a dutch oven, and then a larger dutch oven. They are in sort of an avocado/sage green. I prefer to use them rather than anything else. They are great for stews, rice, poaching pears, making custard, cranberry sauce, making soup, mashed potatoes. You can put them in the oven and cook a pot roast. They are great. Sort of an early Le Cruset.

5. I just snagged a SQUARE casserole/baker piece in cherry flame! I have never seen one before, anyone else? It has the “fishtail” style handles on either side with a white enamel interior. Actually, it’s technically a rectangle, but 9″ x 6″ and 3.5″ deep. It’s not specifically marked “Descoware” on the bottom, but has “Made in Belgium” and #20 stamp with an interesting DD (the second D being backwards) mark on the back.

6. jaxonld says:

I just found this site and love it. Have been “collecting” Descoware since 1998 and now have way more than I should, but will never part with one piece. (and still look for things I don’t have)

Now my question: Does anyone know how much pink Descoware was made….what pieces? The first Descoware item I bought was a pink pot…..small Dutch oven…….and the only other thing I’ve ever found in that color is an exact replica. (I bought it, too)

I agree with the poster who said these items are great rice cookers. But then, the only things I use to cook in now are Descoware or old black cast-iron.

To the other poster concerning the black interior of a Descoware dish……I have two that are blue outside/ black inside and use them all the time. No, I don’t think it’s “teflon”…..mine appear to be just cast iron with no enamel on the interior.

Would love to hear from anyone who knows more about the pink……..or has some to sell!!

7. Tom Filkins says:

My daughter gave me a set of DescoWare that she received from her mother-in-law. My daughter said she tried to fry and sautee in the pans, but everything stuck. Is there some way that the porcelain has to be conditioned, or is there a secret to the temperature? I love my cast iron ware (of which I have about a dozen), and I’ll try the DescoWare to compare it against the plain cast iron. Please encourage me.
    Tarheel Hawkeye

• Tom Edwards says:

People have forgotten the tricks to using regular pans without sticking. Follow these rules and you shouldn’t go to wrong.

1. Make sure the pan is already HOT before you put your food in. Put the enamelware over medium flame and let it sit for a full minute or so without your oil.
      2. Add your oil or butter to pan.
      3. Put your ingredients in next. Meat should be thawed and even ‘tempered’ up to room temp is best. I usually bring the thawed meat out of the fridge and let sit on the counter covered while I prep all my other ingredients. That’s usually plenty of time. If your ingredients are too cold, they will cool the pan considerably and now it’s as if you never warmed it.
      4. Even though you have done everything right it will still stick! Don’t fret the glass is half full! Now you’ll know when it’s time to turn it over, because you do it when your able to flip it without tearing it a up! It will release when it has a perfect sear, and the brown stains left behind are the beginnings of a sauce:
      5. Deglaze the pan with a splash of wine.

Happy cooking!

• Candy Eve says:

Descoware is a porcelainized cast iron. It is NOT non-stick. Treat it like any stainless steel pan, in that you need oil or butter for sauteing. Use heat to about 350 degrees for best results, not higher (MEDIUM.) You can go hotter, but it isn’t necessary. If things stick, it is sometimes because the meat is NOT YET DONE, and it needs to cook longer. Then it should release, when it is cooked through the outside areas, unless the pan is too hot and it is burning.

“Butter and/or Olive oil” should not go above 300 degrees; canola maybe 350 degrees; peanut Oil, a little higher. I never use Crisco, but opt for “SPECTRUM non-hydrogenated palm shortening”. The good thing is you can soak the inside of the Descoware, by filling it with water, and placing on the range and reheating a bit. It usually cleans up really well. If you do stain it, BON AMI made into a paste, and let stand a few hours should clean it up. ( I have even used a tiny bit of bleach in water to remove tough stains, but know that this will weaken the enamel over time, and should not be done often, but it does work to whiten the stains. ) I love my DESCOWARE.

IF YOU NEED TO DO SOMETHING in HIGH HIGH HEAT, USE REGULAR WELL SEASONED “BLACK CAST IRON” WITHOUT THE ENAMEL coatings (with no PORCELAIN) FOR EXCELLENT RESULTS. YOU CAN USE BLACK ENAMEL IN YOUR BBQ EASILY TOO!

8. Ro Meadows says:

I have three pots of various sizes. The Brand name is Descoware, made in Belgium.
    The wood handles have long been unusable, I would like to replace the handles but I cannot locate a source. can you help. Thanks.

9. Becky Leach says:

Anyone ever seen a piece of Descoware with a BLACK interior, rather than the usual shiny cream or grey? I just received a piece I won, on Ebay–the elusive sky blue gradient color–and now I’m sitting here, wondering if I dare USE it. If it’s teflon, I’ll just have to admire it, instead. Boo hoo.

I’ve searched various Descoware fan sites, and cannot find any mention of a time when Descoware did the “Straub thing” and had black, non-stick, NON teflon interiors. Anybody know?

The pot states “Made in Belgium” so that helps date it. I’m hoping that helps date it as PRE-teflon, as well.

Thanks.

• Mark Schreibman says:

In the mid-to-late 1960′s Descoware was acquired by Le Creuset . . the mating of these two companies was both confusing and experimental for a number of years. Le Creuset used a number of the Descoware molds acquired for a few years and applied their own porcelain interior and/or early non-stick surface. I could tell you more, if I saw a picture of the piece.

• Candy Eve says:

This is my new Facebook site, where I ask you all to tell me what your favorite THRIFT SHOP FINDS are. Of course, my favorite is DESCOWARE!

• Candy Eve says:

I have never seen ANY cast iron with a “teflon” inside, but I have seen many with the original black inside. I would use it. If it is black enamel, it is easy. If it is untreated cast iron, put some PALM OIL SHORTENING, my favorite is SPECTRUM ORGANIC, no transfat or hydrogenated oils (won’t go rancid) in a thin layer on the black parts. You only need to “season” the untreated parts. Put in in a 300 degree oven for an hour, wipe it out and it will not rust. It is probably wonderful. Not sure if it is actually DESCOWARE, but the BELGIUM cast iron manufacturers did a great job. They made things for many companies.

If the underside is not enamel, and is unseasoned black cast iron, use a cookie pan covered in foil, and place the greased pan inside so it doesn’t get your oven sticky.

Works great. I have a few brands of cast iron, INNOVA, PRIZERWARE, Le CREUSET, FARBERWARE, and they all cook just fine….
      but my most used and most loved is my DESCOWARE!!!

• Finding the LATE history has proved more difficult than finding early history… the company kept changing hands. I have one of those non-stick coated blue fry pans, too. I can’t find any brochure or ad that mentions that pan. Sure looks like teflon to me.

10. tippy says:

Hi. I recently picked up a what looks to be a “matched” yellow pot and skillet. The skillet fits perfect on the pot when you put it on upside down and align the handles. The pot is marked 89-B 22 O at the top and FE Belgium on the bottom. The skillet does not have any markings. I’m wondering was it really made to be a “set”? Or is it just coincidental that the skillet fits so perfect? I’m wondering if the pieces are hard to find or common items. Thanks!! Here’s a link to a picture:

• Candy Eve says:

Look at the ADS and BROCHURES on this site. In the one I supplied there is a picture of the set we are talking about. It is called “CONVERTIBLE”.

Also on the other brochure there looks to be a picture of a pan and saucepan with a black interior. Is that the other one mentioned above in another letter?

—————————————————————–
      Thanks, DESCOWARE GUY for keeping this site so well organized!!!

A BIG FAN OF YOURS!

Candy Eve

• Candy Eve says:

I have two, they are a set. They were sold as the saucepan, and frypan lid. One of mine is the flame orange red by DESCOWARE, and the other is a “copy” of the style in brown by Le Creuset. The Descoware is lighter weight and easy to handle. Anyone want to buy the LC??? LOL!!!!

• joe says:

I just bought the exact same set at a garage sale – and know nothing about this set except that it appears to be of high quality – i was coming online to try to discover something about it

11. Brennen says:

Did anyone ever notice that the cosbies Le Creuset cookware ?

12. Teri says:

Hi Kevin,

I so enjoy marveling at the wealth of info on your site, as I am a proud new owner of some fantastic descoware. As a potential collector of this cookware, I am interested to know if there is a catalog of all the items that descoware produced over the years, and, for example, the capacity, size, etc. of the items.

Specifically, do you know if a bean pot larger than 3qt capacity was made? I am planning to purchase one on E-bay, or Etsy, or Shopgoodwill.com as they come up, but as an avid home cook who often cooks for several people, I feel like 3 quart capacity might be a bit on the small side. Please do share what you know before I am tempted to shell out for something that may not be exactly what I need. :-)

Thanks and keep up the good work!

Tx

13. LeAnna says:

I inherited a piece of flame Descoware from my grandmother. After looking at the Le Creuset website, I would consider it to be a braiser, complete with the lid. I didn’t see any pictures of it on the website, though. Does anyone else have one? I have used the thing like mad, making everything from pot roast to lasagna in it. I can remember my grandmother making pot roast in it, then using it on the stove to make gravy from the drippings. She passed when I was nine, so it was quite a while before I inherited the pan, but I’m glad that I ended up with it. It’s been with me since college.

Thank you so much for this website. It’s very interesting to finally learn about the one piece of cookware that I will never leave my home until I die. Now I have promised myself to keep a lookout for Descoware at garage sales, flea markets, estate sales, and antique stores. I want more of it!

14. karen cross says:

I posted my collection of descoware on youtube.com (I only have 1 piece). I put a plug in for this site in my youtube video. So far, no one has seen it. I am surprised that when you look up descoware on youtube, no one has showed their collections. I think it would be a good idea.

• Brennen says:

HEllo,
      i have seen both of your videos on you tube , you have a very nice collection of vintage cookware .

15. D. R. Gwyther says:

Wow…after 30 years on the road…hotel food, some great meals…many not so great…I have retired to my kitchen and found my wife’s few pieces of Descoware. Good food is so much better when you can cook with the right tools. I only have the dutch oven and small wooden handled saute pan. Both in orange handed down at least two generations. Both are superb.

Great site. Thanks.

16. Patte says:

Greetings Kevin!

It sounds like a lot of other folks here have fond memories of this large, heavy, cookware! And like many others, I have inherited my Aunt’s set. Mom used several of the pieces until they became too heavy for her to hoist around the kitchen. Its a beautiful set. Used, but lovingly. But it’s so danged heavy! When I fill the fry pan w/enough hamburger helper to feed this brood of 7, I can’t lift the fry pan off the stove! The set is sitting in a box on a chair… should I keep it? It’s really NICE. Much much nicer than anything I currently have. But they’re really heavy! (side note: i have issues w/my wrists) I’m debating whether to ditch what I’ve got (everything is from the dollar store) and replace it with Mom’s Descoware or part ways with it. Can anyone give me a good reason not to find it another home?

17. Katie says:

We just bought our first Descoware piece at a garage sale for $2.00. I happened to look it up online to see how best to care for it. It is a yellow skillet with a beautiful wooden handle. Any tips on how best to cook with it/care for it?
    Thanks!

18. Candy Eve says:

I just saw the JULIE and JULIA movie and it was wonderful. I loved every minute of it. I only have one gripe, I suppose they got paid a heap to do this, but they swapped out the DESCOWARE DUTCH OVEN for the LE CREUSET, and kept showing the LC logos throughout. They even swapped in while shooting in the ACTUAL kitchen that once belonged to JULIA!!! That was not authentic and made me cringe!!!!

To be accurate, all they had to do was leave the scenes with JULIA CHILD using her DESCOWARE, (there was one scene that I noticed with an old DESCOWARE fry pan with wooden handle hanging there….) and then JULIE could have used the LE CREUSET. That would have been fine.

But, OH WELL, only we DESCOWARE lovers will notice that piece of lost history!

The rest of the movie was WONDERFUL, and I hope that Meryl Streep gets an academy award for her performance. I heard her say in an interview she had to gain 40 pounds for the role!!!

GO SEE IT!!!!

• Linda L. says:

Hi – I thought it was a Dru Holland casserole that went into the oven – a blue one with tulips painted on it. I have one like that, and more. Does anyone else have Dru?

19. Olivia says:

Excellent information.
    I have a complete set.

• Candy Eve says:

You can use Descoware on any stove, and a diffuser will help alleviate hot spots, if the range burners have uneven heating, but do not use a diffuser on high heat, they will warp if cooked much over 350 degrees. The pot won’t, the Nordicware burner cover will!

I just got another set on EBAY inexpensively, as my older burner cover got really warped making the pots rock on the range. I boiled spaghetti water on high on the diffuser burner cover, and forgot to lower it fast. DUMB MISTAKE!!!

• Candy Eve says:

Hi Olivia,

See my Reply to Kevin about the Range top DIFFUSERS made by NORDICWARE, allowing use of DESCOWARE on an electric range.
      These also work well with PYREX and CORNINGWARE glass pots, and percolators. BUT keep the heat to MEDIUM LOW, and never go high for more than a few minutes. You can heat the diffuser but not the glassware!

The finish on the diffuser may change permanently with excess heat, but it will still work, but I recommend the lower heat. It helps the food to heat evenly in any pot, even stainless ones. My favorite cookware, and I have collected MANY MANY things, is absolutely DESCOWARE!!!!

• Olivia says:

Can Descoware be used on an electric stove? I know gas is best but I now have electric.
      Thanks in advance for any information

• You bet–it works well but it’s very slow to heat when used on electric. If you have a smooth top, the descoware can cause some scratching to the stove–the very bottom edge is cast iron. Iron is a little rough.

• Candy Eve says:

Kevin,
        You can buy a diffuser for the electric rangetops. NordicWare makes them.They cover the electric range heating elements and are fabulous. Nothing will burn if you keep the heat between medium and MED-LOW. Plus you can heat the pots after washing them for a few minutes instead of putting them into the oven and heating up the whole house!

I use them on my range and they heat up fast, and evenly and work great. I don’t know if this would work on a glasstop, but on a standard range it is great. you can probably use them on a gas range too. They come in two sizes, for each burner, and run about $20 each at the most.

See http://www.surlatable.com/product/id/126434.do

Candy Eve

20. Brooklynkatie says:

Hi Descoware lovers,
    Was watching an old episode of The Odd Couple on late night TV and noticed that Oscar and Felix have a lovely set of yellow in their 70s kitchen. Just sayin’.

Hope we get to see some in the upcoming Julie and Julia movie.

21. Candy Eve says:

Hi Kevin,
    I sent you a copy of a Descoware ad. The Flame was called CHERRY FLAME, the Yellow was called CITRON. Funny for orange and pale yellow, huh? Did you receive it? I can resend it if you never got it.

Candy

22. dawn says:

I have a set of yellow which includes 3 pots, lrg, med, small, 4 sizes of sauce pans, 1 double boiler, 4 frying pans, lrg, med, sm & xsm, plus all the wooden handles. These were my grandmothers which I had been watching her cook with since I was a teenager (1970′s). Approx. 7 years ago she moved into an ALF and left behind her Descoware, it sat unused in her home for 4-5 years. She passed away 3 years ago & approx. 2 years ago I finally got the courage to go in & clean out her belongings. My son moved into his own home & I gave him my complete set of Visions cookware & started using Nanny’s Descoware. I can’t tell you how happy I am that I did that, the Descoware is the BEST cookware I have ever used. Not to mention the memories of Nanny’s kitchen everytime I use it. I just had no idea how awesome & valueable Descoware was, what a nice surprise. Maybe someday my grand daughter will “discover” these treasures.
    Thanks for the website!
    Dawn

23. Alex says:

Hi Kevin,

I have a piece that I picked up recently that has me puzzled. When I first saw it I was sure that it was Dru Holland. It is a light blue with a darker blue decorated pattern. But when I turned it over, it was marked Descoware. I can’t find any other pieces like this on line. Do you know anything about it? I have pictures I would be happy to forward to you.

Thanks!
    Alex

• Candy Eve says:

Descoware did some “clones” of the other companies’ patterns so it seems. I have seen them as well. I do not think that is actually a Dru Holland piece. They are priced now about the same.

24. Carissa says:

Kevin, thank you for this site, I have a sauce pan that I found for a quarter at a yard sale and it just really caught my eye,(flame/orange), and the other day my father-in-law brought a box to me two pots, one with the wood handle and both with lids and a set of three varied sizes of skillets. I was excited to say the least!! I found this site and it has helped me know a lot more about my wonderful gift. Keep up the great work.

25. Darcy says:

My daughter and I recently bought 2 cool casserole dishes at a garage sale. They were marked Descoware. It has been fun finding out about this cookware. My question is: One of the casseroles is still in the box never used with the instruction/recipe insert inside. This was obviously bought for a gift and never given. How much do you think this is worth? It says on the box 2 3/4. I assume that means quarts? It is oval and flame colored.

26. Carl! says:

Is there a piece of Descoware that anyone is just DYING to find/own? Rare type, shape, color or item?

Discuss.

• Mark says:

looking for Descoware Autumn Leaves Casserole, measures 14″ by 9″ by 5″, I think this is atleast 6 quarts . . . willing to pay $$$ if the interior is in good condition as I will use for cooking

27. SYVIA DHENIN says:

I am delighted that I found this site. I wish they still made their pans. The idea of the removable wooden handle is fantastic and so practical. I have several sauce pans and frying pans. They are so much better than le Creuset. The best was the sauce pan with the lid which was shaped to cover the pouring spout. Where might I be able to buy some more?

28. Sarah says:

Oh awesome! I was just about to return it
    Thank you!

29. Carl! says:

Hi, Sarah. I can assure you that the piece you bought was indeed Descoware.

30. Sarah says:

Hello all!
    I believe I stumbled onto a Descoware piece at Goodwill, but I’m not quite sure. I have been unable to find much information (other than this site) on the brand other than Julia Child highly endorsed the brand.
    The piece I have if Descoware is in the flame color. But the bottom of the pot and lid say 2D 8 L FE Belgium. Is it not real? Does this mean I can go return it and get my $15 back!?
    Any information will help, if you want pictures please just email me at sarah.garner at ymail dot com

It looks exactly like Descoware, I just would like someone who has true Descoware to yay or nay it.
    Thank you all!!!

31. Carl! says:

Hey, friends!

I was so happy to come across this site. I’ve been a collector of Descoware for several years, ever since I bought my first home. I love the cookware, its durability, even cooking characteristic and attractive design. I have dozens of pieces that include the flame colored, avocado, harvest gold, Markley, and also fun items like the ASHTRAYS and TRIVETS!

Thanks for the site!

32. Ambrose Smith says:

Hi Kevin,

7 years ago a woman I took care of passed away and her family gave me an old forgotten Descoware piece that was going to be sold at a garage sale. I didn’t know anything about Descoware, nor have I heard of it. I cleaned the Flame Orange round casserole dish with lid (with the 3 separate compartments inside) and saw how beautiful it looked cleaned up and polished. I went on eBay and found other great pieces and within a year I had acquired a small collection of Dutch ovens, baking dishes, pots and pans. Different colors and sizes. Roughly 30 pieces.

They look great hanging from a hook in the kitchen and they look great on the table. My 3 prized pieces are a yellow Markley Dutch oven, a large oval cream colored pot with vegetables, and a sky blue oval pot with dark blue tulip leaves.

I recently gave my sister 2 pieces: a large beautiful avocado green baking dish and a frying pan (flame orange) with a long wooden handle screwed in. I knew she would take good care of them and appreciate them. She was visiting my home and she used my large “vegetable” pot to make a batch of homemade jalapeno jelly. Delicious.

Thanks for this website. It is good to know that others appreciate the high quality, uniqueness, durability, and looks of Descoware.

Ambrose Smith
    Coachella, California

33. Kevin says:

Hey Rob. Yeah, it’s likely that you got a mix and match. It was common practice for the European makers to mark pieces with the sizes (that’s what the numbered markings are). Since Descoware was an American only import, it’s a small possibility that yours came from the same foundry… but really, it’s probably more likely that the pieces came from a different shop. One of the nice things about DescoWare is that it’s really pretty cheap. As long as your pieces look like they match… who the heck cares!

34. Rob says:

Hey Kevin, I know almost nothing about Descowear and have recently purchased a small dutch oven at a garage sale that holds about 1 quart. It is clearly stamped “Descoware Made in Belgium” on the bottom. Along with this pot there was a 5 quart dutch oven and a skillet that measures about 9 1/” in diameter and comes with a removable wood handle. The two larger pieces do not have the stamp indicating that it is Belgiumware, however, indented in the bottoms of all three pans is the word “Belgium” and similar looking model numbers. There are other small differences in the small dutch oven and the other two pieces. For instance the small one has a white interior and the other two have gray interiors. Do you know if Descoware did not stamp there name on some of their pieces? Are these two Descowear or something else. Thank you for your help, Rob

35. Kevin says:

It’s as safe as it’s ever been. Under the enamel, it’s just regular old cast iron. Chipping is very common–the enamel glazes do what’s called “crazing,” which is small cracks. Eventually they become bigger cracks. I haven’t been able to find anyone who repairs enamel cookware. Anyone with a ceramic kiln should be able to do it pretty easily.

36. john weber says:

Does anyone know whether, how, and by whom cracked and chipped porcelain enamel on the inside (bottom) of a Descoware dutch oven can be repaired?

Thanks!
    John Weber

37. candy eve says:

The cast iron that may show through on the descoware should be safe to cook on.
    Minor cracking and crazing is not a problem for cooking, but do take special care
    when you clean it not to make it worse. If there is cast iron areas showing through
    use shortening and season the areas so that it won’t rust.

I always dry my descoware in the oven or for about 5 minutes atop the range on low.

I am in need of an oval lid for the 4 1/2 quart oval flame orange dutch oven. It has a
    handle, not a knob top. If anyone has a replacement for that piece, please email me!

Thanks!

I check all over daily online!

sugarx2@rocketmail.com ok to list this email!

38. Kevin says:

The ovals don’t fit the burners too well, but… you won’t hurt them.

39. Arthur says:

I have what I would caLL an oval roaster with lid in flame.
    Is it stovetop safe, or just oven safe?
    Thanks,
    Arthur

40. Liz says:

Okay, I’m back….about the yellow, oval roaster question:

Duh! The lettering on the lid is not raised, it’s stamped (which you all probably knew)

Liz

41. Liz says:

Kevin,
    I have a yellow oval roaster with a lid that used to be my grandmother’s. It has the black signature:
    Descoware, Made in Belgium, on the bottom of the roaster. The inside is gray. On the underside of the lid, it has raised writing that says: FE 12 C-3
    It is in great shape, and I use it regularly. I would truly appreciate it if you could give me any other information about this piece and the marking C-3.
    Thanks for the website,
    Liz

42. Jillian says:

Dear Kevin,

Great website! I have to admit, I hadn’t heard about Descoware – but I was looking up the markings on two beautiful flame dutch ovens (oval) that my mother-in-law gave me. She received them for a wedding gift (1960s) and used them while raising her family… Both lids and pots have the “coded” stamps – though they aren’t marked “Descoware”… For example the large lid is marked FE 3F 18 BELGIUM, and the pot is harder to read but I can make out the FE BELGIUM and a 3… and the small lid is marked FE 12 3-C BELGIUM and the pot has the same code: 3-C 12 FE BELGIUM…. they look like Descoware (I have pictures but not sure where to post them) – is it possible the Descoware marking rubbed off? Or might they be another brand? Thanks so much!

Best wishes,
    Jillian

• Terry says:

Hi Jillian!

I have the exact same markings on my set that were passed down to me from my Mother. It is DEFINITELY DESCOWARE. Although my lid does not have the descoware imprint, the bottom of the pot does. DESCOWARE appears centered in the space between the E and the FE as an ink-type logo. I’m sure yours has just worn off after many good years of use!

Congratulations on owning such a nice dish!

Terry

• Kevin says:

The stampings were just industry practices and there are lots of pieces made by other manufacturers. Descoware lids usually don’t have a logo, but the main piece almost invariably does (have a logo).

43. Becky says:

Hello Kevin,

I purchased a blue Descoware 9-1/2″ covered skillet at a thrift store today and the inside of the skillet is completely black and looks like straight cast iron without any enamel. There was even a little rust on the inside which leads me to believe it is straight cast iron and not a serious build-up of some kind. The outside condition is pretty good and it does not look like it has been abused. I have never seen a piece of Descoware like this, they are all enameled on the inside. Have you ever seen or heard of any Descoware like this? The markings on the bottom of the skillet are: Descoware MADE IN BELGIUM 23-B 24 0 FE BELGIUM. And the markings on the lid are: FE 24 BELGIUM.
    I would appreciate any information you can give me on this.

Becky

• Kevin says:

I’ve seen a couple of modifications to the blue pieces. I have a blue fry pan that is teflon coated… but I’m pretty sure that teflon didn’t exist when DescoWare was being made. I imagine that in some cases, people removed the interior enamel coating as the interior of piece became damaged. Descoware is just basic cast iron underneath.

44. Candy Eve says:

I have been collecting Descoware this past year. I have almost a complete set. I really love cooking with it all. I am looking for a 12 inch skillet with lid.

I have seen Descolite, and of course the very weighty LE Creuset. I like the Descoware best of all in the FLAME.

Candy

45. TRUDI/CA says:

HI.
    I BOUGHT TWO PIECES TODAY FROM A THRIFT STORE. BOTH HAVE NO HANDLES. BOTH ARE RED FADE TO ORANGE IN COLOUR.
    THE SAUSEPAN HAS 80-C 18 F / F.E. BELGUIM STAMPED ON THE BOTTOM
    THE SMALL PAN HAS ONLY F.E 18 AND TWO DOTS STAMPED ON THE BOTTOM
    I WOULD LIKE TO PURCHASE HANDLES. CAN YOU ADVISE WHERE TO LOOK? PLEASE ADVISE.
    THANK YOU.
    TRUDI FROM CALIFORNIA

• Conley Phillips says:

Approximately 20 years ago my wife picked up a Descoware saucepan w/lid (yellow)at a yard sale. That set the ‘tone’ for future cookware purchases which ultimately led us to Le Creuset.

The saucepan had a very marginal handle, which may have already been replaced at one time. I replaced the handle with one of my own design (for lack of an original to copy) made of black locust. Good, bad or indifferent, this handle has served us well, including many, many trips through the dishwasher. Hey, it’s my saucepan and I’m not into washing dishes by hand if I can help it. However, the locust has decided to give it up after 20 years. (Says something about locust, doesn’t it?)

I plan to fabricate another handle (probably locust) if I can recreate the thread pattern. I had a template of sorts last time because I had what was left of the “original”. This time, the handle came out in pieces, so I’m having to try to figure out the thread properties (threads/inch, pitch, etc.) from inside a very worn saucepan.

Does anyone have a Descoware handle they can unscrew from the dish for the purpose of measuring the thread properties? (They look to be 8 threads/inch, but there’s also a taper??)

Help me if you can. It may save me a couple of hours in the shop and provide other potential handle makers with a guide from which to work.

Happy cooking (and woodworking, if you’re so inclined).

– Conley in Cottage Grove, OR

46. Jean-Marie says:

I have a Descoware Discovery Set Number 104 3 G still in the box that I will be selling for my 84 year old mom who could use the money. My dad gave it to her during the early 1960′s and she never used it. I will be listing it on Ebay tomorrow. I ran across your website while researching its current market value and thought you might be interested in it. I will be listing it tomorrow.

47. Kevin says:

Thanks for stopping by the Descoware site, Katie. Obviously, It’s just starting up and I really appreciate the offer of photos.

The blue stuff is definitely a little scarce on ebay, and I don’t recall ever seeing any blue with the labels. I’ve been ebaying the stuff for about 5 years and the prices have seemed to drift up this year. I think word might be getting around. The highest price I’ve seen for a single piece was just under $100.

I’ll be adding some info about replacement handles and possibly enamel repair services, so check back!

• Beacheagles says:

I just found a dutch oven…… larger than any I have ever seen…… ever. My grandmother had one. But never this large. I look on Ebay regularly and have for years. Would like info on what I just bought. Size? Could be 18 or more inches across.

48. Brooklynkatie says:

Hi Kevin–I have recently fallen in love with Descoware. I am seriously considering purchasing a vintage, unused (except for one sauce pan) set in sky blue. It includes a dutch oven, 2 sauce pans (one with a little fry pan lid) and a 10-inch skillet. They still have the Descoware stickers on them. It is a little $$$, but I really love the blue and have hardly seen any of this color on ebay (present or past sales). Would love to get your feedback. Thanks.
    BrooklynKatie

49. Sally says:

I have a yellow pot with the letters “2H, 16, A” molded into it: The lid also
    has letters molded into it; they are “FE, 16, 2-H “. “BELGIUM” is molded
    d into both pieces. How old could this set be? If anyone knows, please let
    me know. I was told that it is extremely rare by antique dealer. What’s
    the truth?

50. Luella says:

If information were soccer, this would be a goooooal!

51. Sorry Clint… I haven’t had any luck finding a “RE” enamel shop either. It seems like there is a lot of demand for re-use of old stuff and refinishing enamelware could be a great little business for someone.

52. There were actually dozens of small sand cast foundries that used differing recipes of enamel coatings. FE means iron, not Founderie Emaillerie.

53. Neither, really. The stamped ones are older, but the molded ones are fewer. Both kinds have their fans–and in proportional numbers.

54. I still don’t have a source for re-enamling a pan. You would think in our ‘turning green’ culture that someone would be interested in recycling these very useful items.

55. It is just cast iron underneath. As long as the enamel is not coming off into your food…